I don't tend to post about fantasy a lot, but these rumours seemed really interesting and sparked some really great ideas for some potential upcoming minis.
This rumour was posted on Warseer today and reposted across lots of blogs. I'll paraphrase as it's a bit wordy, but does this make you think about Warhammer Fantasy in a different way? Certainly opens it up with some interesting allianaces and some fantasy staples making their way into the Warhammer universe including potentially Draconians and Birdmen. Draconians (left) were the main protagonists in the iconic Dragonlance series and would be an awesome addition to the Warhammer universe, especially with the departure of the Lizardmen.
Now - these are only rumours, but they're pretty cool ones!
1. Empire Remmanents: Mainly humans, with some dwarfs, ogres, and vampires. Humans units tend towards elite holy warriors, dwarves are mainly steampunk flavored, some of which bleeds into the rest of the faction. Vampires tend towards the human aesthetic, ogres have elements of both.
2. Chaos: all three chaos armies mixed together.
The warriors/humans have a more obvious demonic gifts. Winged units of warriors was mentioned as an example.
Beastmen will come in more flavors - reptilian and avian variations and a variety of more animalistic units.
3. Orks/Goblins: More or less the same. They get ogres as per end times.
Also, possible mention of dwarf slaves either as units or as justifcation for some steampunk elements in the army.
4. Skaven: More warptech, notably more apparent in modeling if not in rules and Lizardmen slaves apparently bound using magic/warptech and mutated.
5. Undead: End times undead. More feral in feel. Beyond that, nothing.
6. Elves: End times elves, slightly more unified in appearance, taking cues from all 3 armies.
Chaos Undivided in the Chaos forces makes sense, and more Beastmen of different flavours sounds awesome! Would love to FINALLY see some Draconians, Kobolds or Birdmen. These have been staples of Fantasy literature for decades and it's about time!
Dwarf slaves in Orc service is interesting, but Orcs are Orcs!
Skaven with Lizardmen auxiliaries could be very cool in terms of modelling.
Looks like the Egyptian feel is going to leave the Undead and the Elves are just battling to survive. It would be a shame to lose the Wood Elf or Dark Elf look though. They are such iconic armies!
What do you think of this? I really like the idea! It certainly opens up Warhammer to the rest of the existing fantasy literature out there...