It's been a little while since I've made a concerted push with my War Hounds Legion, but with Easter here there was time to get some work done.
I set about on two projects; (1) painting a new Tactical Veteran and (2) updating some old ones to integrate them with the current rules.
I had wanted to arm the War Hounds with Volkite Calivers, but after talks with Forge World I found that although these are pre-Heresy and Volkites were more numerous, Bolters were the favoured weapon of the time, so 2 Marines weren't armed properly!
++ More After The Jump ++
This Veteran uses a head from one of the Chaos Marauder Cavalry models and looks very much like a character out of a Frank Frazetta drawing of barbarians. These are great heads and will be popping up on a number of the newer Space Marines I do. His face was actually quite fiddly and the paint job is only really passable which is pretty disappointing. Next time I'll paint it separately.
Also notice the amazing Master Crafted Veteran Spiky Shoulder Pad. If you missed our review of them earlier, have a look here. Can't express how cool these are!
In fact his friend also needed a bit of work because he had the War Hounds symbol on the wrong shoulder and the other was a spiked - no good for his new role.
So I repainted the helmets, elbow pads and the backpacks to be in the right colours for Tacticals (at least in my world...) and designed a Tactical Support symbol for the shoulder. The symbol couldn't be the same as the normal Tactical Space Marines, so this simple arrow was different enough from the normal Tacticals to work as Tactical Support.
Also did some work on the blue of the armour of the MK III marine - the way I do that has now changed, with a more extreme blue highlight for rivets and around plates, so it needed an update of sorts.
With all those changes happening, I still couldn't bring myself to paint over the free-hand War Hounds symbol I did on the first of my War Hounds. It took too long and I still like the look of it.